Scam artists are stealing millions of dollars from distressed homeowners by promising immediate relief from foreclosure, or demanding cash for counseling services when HUD-approved counseling agencies provide the same services for FREE. If you receive an offer, information or advice that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t let them take advantage of you, your situation, your house or your money.
To determine if you are a possible victim of a scam, ask yourself these two questions:
- Were you told you had to pay a fee to obtain counseling services?
- Were you guaranteed a loan modification or asked to do any of the following:
- Sign over title to your property
- Redirect mortgage payments
- Stop making loan payments
If the answer to any question is “Yes,” then report the possible scam.
For more information, contact Parkview’s Homeownership Program at https://www.parkviewservices.org/mortgage-default-program/